My inbox this morning was a festival of utter rubbish. Here are just six of the subject fields that I met. There is little distinction between the science spam and its natural counterpart. All are maximally irrelevant, and some may be frauds.
1. Italian superenalotto *** SPAM level 21.836 * DEAR WINNER
2. Abstract deadline approaching – RICT 2013, Nice, July 3-5, 2013
3. *** SPAM level 21.053 * Tomorrows Monster Stock!
4. CE certificated ice cube maker , Commercial Kitchen Refrigerator and Salad bar
5. *** MAYBE SPAM level 5.718 *Published for free–Solids and Structures！
6. New career opportunities at ACAMEDICUM
By the way, acamedicum? Jeez.